Designated Manager Retail Food2019-10-16T15:09:18+00:00

Designated Manager Retail Food  $60.00    

Buy Now

This course satisfies the TABC Training requirements for obtaining a Manager Permit for Retail Food which allows permit holders to  order wine from wholesalers.

To be eligible for a Manager Permit you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have not been criminally convicted of violating laws against possession, sale, manufacture or transportation of alcoholic beverages within the last 10 years
  • Have not been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude in the last 10 years

Certificate (valid for one year)

TopShelf Certificate of Completion Completion of this course fulfills the law-training portion of the requirements for a Tennessee Designated Manager Permit.

Length of Course

Fulfills the minimum 1 hour requirement set by the TABC

What You’ll Learn

  • Eligibility requirements to sell wine 
  • Requirements for employee certification
  • What alcohol products can be sold in retail food stores
  • Mark up (pricing) requirements
  • How to work legally with wine wholesalers 
  • Describe the rules for purchasing, receiving, pricing and selling wine 
  • Legal hours to sell wine


What is a Designated Manager Retail Food?2019-10-16T15:36:10+00:00

Each Retail Food store location must have at least one Designated Manager. This trained and permitted Designated Manager is the only person allowed to order wine for that location.

Designated Managers are registered with wine purveyors through the TABC. TopShelf suggests you have at least 2 Designated Managers so you can always be assured you’ll have someone on site to make orders.

What is a Manager Permit Retail Food?2019-10-16T15:35:56+00:00

A Manager Permit is a 5-year Permit issued by the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage (TABC). Although the permit says valid for 5 years, managers must complete both the Responsible Vendor and Designated Manager courses annually.

What is the cost of the Manager Permit-Retail Food?2019-10-16T15:43:36+00:00

At this time, the TABC charges a $50.00 non-refundable application fee plus your course fees. Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements before applying. If the TABC contacts you via email to make corrections or upload additional documentation, you will have 30 days to do so or you will lose your application fee and will have to start the application process over.

Is my Manager Permit transferrable? (rf)2019-10-16T15:34:05+00:00

Yes, but your name must be removed from your current store’s RLPS account and added to the store to which you are moving. Managers cannot order wine in different location than the one in which they are registered.

What is the required training for a Manager Permit? (rf)2019-10-16T15:31:57+00:00

A Designated Manager must successfully complete on an ANNUAL BASIS a Responsible Vendor course, whether it is wine or beer, and a Designated Manager Course.

How do I know I am taking the correct Manager Course? (rf)2019-10-16T15:31:46+00:00

If you are the chosen one to order wine for a grocery or convenience store, this is the course you need to take. Designated Manager – Retail Food

Why do I have to take the courses every year? (rf)2019-10-16T15:34:15+00:00

It is currently required under Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission Rules and Regulations.  The laws are always in flux and the TABC feels this is the best way to keep everyone apprised of changes.

How much does the training cost? (rf)2019-10-16T15:31:37+00:00

The training will be the cost of the Designated Manager course and the Responsible Wine Vendor Course combined.

How do I apply for a Manager Permit? (rf)2019-10-16T15:31:15+00:00

You will need to log on to

  • Go to Permitting
  • Choose Designated Manager
  • Click on RLPS in blue
  • follow the prompts to complete your application

This is your personal RLPS account. You will need to discuss with your corporate office how they want to handle your application fee.

What is required to apply for my Manager Permit? (rf)2019-10-16T15:34:25+00:00

You will need:

  • personal email
  • PDF or JPEG of your valid photo ID
  • Responsible Vendor training certificate
  • Designated Manager training certificate

You will upload these when prompted by the RLPS.

Why shouldn’t I use my company email to set up my RLPS Account? (rf)2019-10-16T15:31:23+00:00

Your RLPS account is your account and you always want to have access to your manager permit. If you should leave your current company and go to another, you will not have access to your previous company email.

When can I expect to get my permit? (rf)2019-10-16T15:34:38+00:00

Once everything has been uploaded and the application is complete, this process should take around 2-4 business days.

How do I know when my permit has been issued? (rf)2019-10-16T15:35:22+00:00

Watch your email! The TABC will email you instructions on how to access your Manager Permit from your RLPS account on the TABC’s website.  If there are any problems with your application, the TABC will email you with questions or requests for information.

Who do I contact if I don’t get my permit? (rf)2019-10-16T15:35:00+00:00

TABC Help Desk:  615-532-2297          or  

What do I do once my Manager Permit is issued? (rf)2019-10-16T15:35:11+00:00

You will need to have a copy of it in the store, along with a copy of your RV Training Certificate and DM Training Certificate. Make sure you also have copies of all employee records. The TABC will look at all of this when they come to audit or do a license renewal.

Who do I contact if I can’t get logged back into my RLPS account?2019-09-24T19:24:45+00:00

TABC Help Desk:  615-532-2297          or  

Go to Top